Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blog 17

The first article has a very good introduction that hooks the reader and makes them think because they started of with a strong question that made the reader think which was "Does anybody really believe that adding 50 million people to the public health-care rolls will not cost the government more money?"
"Let’s not forget that the existing Medicare system is roughly $80 trillion in the hole." The author tells readers a high amount that would shock readers who don't know much about health care right now.
"Free-market competition will lower costs in health care just as it has every place else." I liked his conclusion because it offered a solution by explaining how the free marker would save the economy. I think this article could relate to my topic (HPV) because I thought about how if we did have universal health care many doctors would not make as much money and this would be bad for doctors and researchers of the HPV vaccination.

The second article addresses the same view point I like how the author has a professional of health backing up what he says. "As Michael Leavitt ends four years as secretary of health and human services, he offers this attention-arresting arithmetic." He also talks about the issue on medicare and how it is going to cost us more because there is a huge population of old people. "When Medicare was created in 1965, America's median age was 28.4; now it is 36.6. The elderly are more numerous." This relates to HPV as the same thing I mentioned before.

The last two articles were for universal health care. What I liked about this article was the statistics he used howwever I felt like he used so many that I got lost.
"50% of consumer bankruptcies in the United States stem from medical bills, including a surprising number among households that do have some kind of health coverage. Nor do they include the approximately 20% of auto insurance premiums or the 40% of workers’ compensation premiums that pay for medical expenses." Its intresting how he talks about how in the long run we will save money.

The other article addresses the same issue I liked the introuduction he starts with because he says hes a liberal person who used to oppose the healthcare issue but now likes it. It shows how someone who is more consertative about this issue might be more open minded.
"I am a small-government conservative/libertarian and have hated the concept of socialized medicine almost all my life. But now, I could live with universal health coverage in the U.S.. Here's why."
Another quote I liked was, "Note that the countries frequently cited as models of universal health care, Canada and the U.K., spent less on public health than the U.S. did. Sweden, the notorious welfare state, spent 15% less than the U.S." I heard about the health care in other countries and by reading this I learned more and how if we follow those steps we can spend less money. This realtes to HPV because more people will be able to afford the vaccine for it and less peoplem will be at risk for cervical cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment